Saturday, November 24, 2007

I'm putting all my eggs in one basket.

What an amazing Egg Bowl comeback yesterday down 14-0 with just a smudge less than 8:00 remaining, MSU's Bulldawgs score 17 unanswered to assure a winning regular season and a bowl bid.


The pre-game tailgate


Mom setting up.jpg


Mom Setting up

Mom at Tailgate.jpg


McDades.jpg


The McDades


Mike & Francie.jpg


Mike and Francie


Mary Love & Harland.jpg


Mary Love feeding Harlan



The 2007 Egg Bowl



SkyDeck.jpg


From the Sky Deck looking northwest towards Edgewood Drive


Scott Field.jpg


Davis-Wade Stadium at Scott Field


Cowbell Up.jpg


Cowbell Up!


End Zone:Rebel Band massing.jpg


North End Zone with Evil Empire Band Massing near Halftime


M Club.jpg


Leo Seal M-Club in 2nd Quarter


The Junction.jpg


The Junction with views to the southwest


photo112407f-1.jpg


"WRAP IT IN MAROON AND WHITE. DAWGS WIN!"
Sylvester Gets Overexcited!


Addenda 11:20 am

BTW, Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers in the classic Follow the Fleet (1936) provide my blog entry "song" title.

2 SKY DECK TICKETS SECTION 703 ROW 18-$56.50
1 LOT 35 SEASON PARKING PASS -$70.00
2 SMALL STADIUM CUP DIET COKES -$6.00
CROOM'S 3 POST-GAME POLITE DISSES OF
ORGERON'S COACHING -PRICLESS!
What went through your mind when (Ole Miss head coach Orgeron) went for the first down on that fourth down in the fourth quarter?
"I was happy."

Were you surprised?
"I was happy."

* * * * * * * * *

(This is a similar question as one asked before but with a slighly different angle and answered differently.-Gene) When they went for it on 4th and 1 and you had three first downs at that point in the game, did you think they were giving you a chance?
"Well, I thought that our Christmas had come early. (Laugh by the media.)"
transcribed by Gene Swindoll
(http://mississippistate.scout.com/2/704800.html



Coach O's take on the same:
Obviously we all know the turning point was the fourth down call to go for it. All year long, we have said that when we have a chance to go for it, we would. It was 14-0. I thought we could get the first down and perhaps go up 17-0, 21-0 and put the game away. We didn’t get it done, and it seemed to turn the tide. We didn’t make the plays when we were supposed to. We woke them up. Basically we had them beat for most of the day, but with 7 minutes left, that was a critical decision on my part. But again, if we make it and go up 17-0. The game is out of hand. We didn’t finish, and I am disappointed in the punt that gave them the touchdown. We had them beat, and we need to learn how to finish.

On the actual fourth-down play:

We put it in BenJarvus’ hands, and they overloaded the box. There was some penetration, and we didn’t get the first down.

On being an aggressive playcaller and how much of a decision it was:

I just thought that we needed to do something to win the football game. It was fourth down and one, and I thought we could get it. At that point in the game, I thought we could put them away. We were going for the knockout punch.

On doing it all over again:

I probably would not. Hindsight is 20/20. We were aggressive and wanted to put them out of the game. BenJarvus is a good back, and I thought we could get it.

* * * * * * * * * *

On this being a tough loss:

It is a tough loss because maybe the fourth down call took it away from my team. I don’t know that. I make those calls to win the game for my team. We missed a field goal. There are a lot of plays you can look at. We need to learn how to make those plays.

On any deflation after the fourth down:

We sensed it a little before that. We were trying to get the sideline fired up. There was a little lull there, and we tried to make things happen. John Thompson and I were screaming to finish the ballgame. We didn’t want to let them back in it.

On possibly changing his aggressive style:

I will think about it next time. That is the truth. I made a mistake. You don't make it, it is a mistake. You make it, you score and you win the game.
transcribed by Chase Parham
(http://mississippi.scout.com/2/704740.html)


"Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye," Steam (1969)

No comments: