Thursday, April 27, 2006

Oops, I did it again; Or, For what it's worth.

The boys are at it again. This time Neil Young, top 25 songs.

My List
1) After the Gold Rush
2) The Needle and The Damage Done
3) Over and Over
4) Heart of Gold
5) Ohio
6) Harvest
7) Cortez the Killer (Zuma version)
8) Don't Cry No Tears
9) Arc (extended feedback loops)
10) Hey, Hey, My, My (Into the Black) (Live Rust version)
11) Cinnamon Girl
12) I Believe in You
13) Words
14) Don't Let It Bring You Down
15) Barstool Blues
16) Southern Man
17) Mr. Soul
18) Too Far Gone
19) Winterlong
20) I'm the Ocean
21) Bandit
22) A Man Needs a Maid
23) Long May You Run
24) Helpless
25) Cowgirl in the Sand


Here's some of the the mail with two others lists that started this thread.
C P
wrote:

Ok, for those of us whose who have been in a coma since 1980, selection #13 is from Broken Arrow, and selection #21 is from Mirrorball.

1. Powderfinger
2. I Believe in You
3. Old Man
4. Harvest
5. Pocohauntas
6. Ohio
7. Comes a Time
8. Needle and the Damage Done
9. Heart of Gold
10. For the Turnstiles
11. Captain Kennedy
12. Barstool Blues
13. Big Time
14. Ambulance Blues
15. See the Sky about to Rain
16. Cinnamon Girl
17. I am a Child
18. Tell Me Why
19. Revolution Blues
20. Bite the Bullett
21. I'm the Ocean
22. Down by the River
23. Motion Picture
24. Hey Babe
25. Sugar Mountain (Live Rust)


I B
wrote:

Here's my list. Of course, I swore Neil off after he came out for Reagan in 1980, so my knowledge of his work for the past 25 years is sporadic at best. This list also includes Buffalo Springfield and CSNY tunes.

1. Thrasher
2. Cinnamon Girl
3. Powderfinger
4. Goin Back
5. Expecting To Fly
6. After The Goldrush
7. On The Beach
8. Out On The Weekend
9. Like A Hurricane
10. Broken Arrow
11. I've Loved Her So Long
12. Cowgirl In The Sand
13. I Believe In You
14. The Needle and the Damage Done
15. Journey Through The Past
16. Hold Back The Tears
17. Homegrown
18. Revolution Blues
19. Peace Of Mind
20. Pocahontas
21. Don't Cry No Tears
22. Lost In Space
23. People On The Street
24. Ohio
25. When You Can Dance I Can Really Love

Which list do you think was written by a guy with grey hair and formerly a ponytail?

Thoughts, comments, share your Top Neil choices with us as well . . .

1 comment:

G. E. Light said...

As per usual making such a list is too hard and I had to cut out songs I like. There was, however, zero doubt about numero uno. I list it as tribute to the late, great Del Rendon, who used to offer up some wierd versions of that song whenever I was present at Dave's open mic night on Mondays.

He played it fast, slow, acoustic, electric, trippy, jammy, reggaey, and on and on. Well o.k. he played that or "Cortez the Killer" or the rare Bowie classic "Quicksand" without me asking as I was sitting down. That stuff was the bomb!

And even a hardcore wierd music fanatic-like me will miss the wide scope of the Del Rendon cover possibilities.