Sunday, February 06, 2005

Every day I have the blues.

I'm doing my first show on WMSV, Mississippi State's "Community" Station for about 3+ years this evening. Of course I drew opposite the Super Bowl! But that's o.k., from 6-8:30 on the Juke I'm bringing the stone cold, old school blues with a few modern twists (Probably the White Stripes "Stop Breaking Down" and Moby's "Natural Blues"). The first three tracks will be Albert King, "Blues Power," John Lee Hooker, "Frisco Blues," and Jimmy Reed, "Take Out Some Insurance."

The King is the famous 1968 live recording made at the Fillmore in San Francisco, which explains track 2. The King comes from a great recent Stax compilation, We'll Play The Blues For You which is my featured CD of the week. My insurance guy Jack F. is a huge Jimmy Reed fan; Track 3 is for him. Plus we're trying to get him to co-underwrite The Juke with Rick's, where we recently held WMSV Blues Night. From there, anything goes: Memphis Minnie, Robert Johnson, Eddie Cusic, Etta James, Charlie Patton, Champion Jack Dupree, Hound Dog Taylor and his Houserockers, Pinetop Perkins, R.L. Burnside, Howlin' Wolf, The Fieldstones, and on and on and on.

No comments: