Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Another the letter.



Woke up to this shocking news which came to me in a circuitous route. Someone landed here when they Googled this: "closing of harvard university press display room in harvard square." Sure I understand the world of publishing has changed, but surely the wealthiest University in the history of the world could cut its own Press a little slack on the rent of a room or two in Holyoke Center, now couldn't they? I know, I know, the silly mantra: "Every tub on its own bottom" Blah Blah Blah.

Now you'll have to head to Blackwell's in Oxford, Foyle's in London, or Powell's in Portland for that amazing wall half red half green filled with Loeb Classical editions. Plus how many cheapo copies of Lipstick Traces did I score over the years (slight damage here, dog ear tear there, et cetera et cetera et cetera)? And no I'm not interested in hearing how great your Kindle is!



Lagniappe for making it this far. Our title song on German TV in 1978:

1 comment:

Tom Mueller said...

Francesca pointed me to this news -- sad, shocking, a memento mori if there ever was one. If I had a nickel (ok, I was already showing my age) for every cut-price, ever-so-slightly damaged book I bought from their used bookshelf, I'd be . . . well, less broke than I am now.