Monday, December 17, 2007

King tut.

This is the funniest thing I've read in a long while, enough that I was guffawing out loud as soon as I saw it sitting in City Bagel.





Funnier still is that it's really a throwaway one-liner (or more precisely two-word independent clause as caption). But then you had to be there and remember Martin's deadly sense of timing and pitch. In my head, I heard and saw him—lips pursed-holding this picture up to an audience. And then those two words "No Comment" through clenched teeth in his precisely clipped diction. Yes, he was a genius standup comedian. If "The Great Flydini" isn't the definition of genius, then I don't know what is. And one other fond memory from this two page spread. I remember the Tallahssee show he alludes to as one of the few good pop music concerts in my misbegotten North Flroida 1970s adolescence: Steve Martin opening for the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band at Doak Campbell Stadium during FSU's Homecoming.





All those folks who go on and on about FSU as the "Berkeley of the South" have evidently never been to the Bay Area to see what a vibrant college town is really like. Also if they could remember the late 60s or early 70s, either they weren't really there . . . or they were Bill Clinton and didn't . . . . Hell Palo Alto had more nightlife in the mid 1980s than Tallahassee ever has or probably ever will. Not that I don't still love my hometown, mind you.

No comments: